How much will you usually spend in a divorce?including child custody,investigation of 401k withdrawal?

Oak Brook, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

i have withdrawn my 401k and spent it on a house in my homeland as my gift to my grandmother who have helped with with everything,my brother's and sister's education.will the law here in the US encompass the other country?

Most common asked question I get in my initial consult. The answer is, It depends. We have no idea how much work the other side is going to make for us. If they're a jerk, it gets expensive. If they agree to everything and want it over with tomorrow, it's usually very very cheap.

Most divorce costs are dictated by the clients, sometimes they are dictated by over zealous or unethical attorneys. If you can keep calm and find a local attorney that is pro active and result oriented and whom you believe will not make the case worse than it already is but will protect your rights then you should be able to get divorced for a reasonable fee. The other side of the coin is making sure your spouse has the same type of attny. Good luck and take good care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

your withdrawal and the taxes and penalties on doing so may be considered dissipation. that means you used marital funds for not marital purposes at a time the marriage was in a state of disrepair. the issue is when was the marriage in disrepair and did your spouse agree to this expenditure.

most likely, she will not agree and wants to be reimbursed for this. this makes the case complicated and the emotions around this make the case difficult.

it is very hard to predict what the fees will be. if you and she agree, easy and inexpensive. if not, difficult, time consuming, expensive.

Depending on certain facts that you have not provided, the law here can make you repay your marital estate for the funds you removed from it. The money may be out of the country, but you are not.