How much will the community service class cost me?

Asked over 4 years ago - Port Charlotte, FL

I was in court today for a 2nd degree misdemeanor charge for petty theft. This was the first time I was ever in court. I was ready to plead guilty, which I did, when the Assistant State Attorny suggested that I take a class. I wasn't aware of any classes. But the ASA told me that it was a class for first time offenders of "petty" crimes, to keep the charge off of their records. That was a surprise to me because I was ready to pay the fine. How long does this class generally run? Also, I'm sure that I'm going to be charged for this class. How much does it usually cost an individual? I do have another court case in 2 weeks to sign papers for the ASA. The ASA and judge told me that the papers are a legal formaility so they know that I will report. Thank you.

1. Jennifer Ann Jacobs

Answered . It sounds to me like what the ASA is offering you is a Pre-Trial Diversion program. If you complete this program the state will drop the case against you. These programs usually last between 3 and 6 months and they require you to do community service. Usually there is a weekly or monthly fee associated with these programs.