How much will my bail be for a warrant for a misdemeanor marijuana charge?

Baltimore, MD |

First offense, I want too turn my self in just want to be prepared

You and I should both defer to the responses that will come from some of our highly qualified attorneys who a licensed in MD. It would be my expectation that you would receive an ROR bond or an unsecured bond. In either case and by whatever terminology prevails in your state, little or no money required. More important then the question you asked is what are you going to do about it. You have a clean record now, and you should do what you have to do to maintain that advantage. Start talking to experienced criminal attorneys with experience in drug defense. Reach out to the ones who respond to your question here. There are lots of unanticipated negative consequences that may flow from any criminal charge. Protect your future and engage legal services. Good luck.

You may not have a bail or the bail could range based on a number of factors, including your prior record, your connections to Maryland. They will try and determine if you are a flight risk and a danger to society in deciding the bail amount.

You should seek the advise of a licensed attorney. Information contained in this post is not legal advise and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

If you were to surrender yourself, it is quite possible that the court may allow you to be released OR which would result in you not having to post bail at all.

For an initial appearance warrant, the court commissioner sets bail in his or her discretion. If a person cannot post the bail set by the commissioner, then that person may have a bail review before a judge on the next available court day. If the warrant is a bench warrant, then you may search court records at mdcourts.gov, in order to see what if any bail has been set.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Voluntarily turning yourself in on a warrant speaks volumes regarding the likelihood of your coming back for trial, which is the weightiest factor for a non-violent charge such as misdemeanor possession of marijuana. Even better is having a lawyer retained you arranges your turning yourself in on the warrant, because anybody who hires a lawyer and voluntarily turning him/herself in will be viewed as someone seriously likely to appear for trial. Having a verifiable home address is necessary as well. Have a family member or close friend available to pay a bail bondsman if necessary, but if you do not have a bad past criminal record, then you should be released on personal recognizance or a minimal bond. If you have to use a bondsman, their fee is 10% of whatever the bond is, so if bond is set at $5,000.00 (and that seems quite high and unlikely for this offense, but I don't know all your circumstances), then the bail bondsman's fee would be $500. Have your friend or family member hold the cash for your bail bond. They's take all your belongings for inventory when you turn yourself in, so best to only have your ID on you and proof of home address.

Mark William Oakley

Mark William Oakley

Sorry about the typos.