How much to insure foreclosed home for?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Roseville, MI

I am being foreclose on after filing for Chap 7. I have 4 months left until my redemption period ends and I found out that I need to insure the dwelling until then. Do I insure it for the amount that the lender bought it back for or the amount of what the home is worth? The value because of the neighborhood issues is $60,000 less than what was owed on it.

Lender bought it back for $95,000 (our loan had PMI on it) and it is worth $37,500 according to online. Which should I insure it for as a "replacement" price if it burns own? Thanks.

1. Daniel Gutierrez

Pro

1

Answered . Laws relating to foreclosure and insurance can vary widely from state to state, so you should certainly contact an attorney or insurance agent in your state. Generally, once a home is foreclosed, the bank will put a force placed insurance policy on the property. You may want to check with the bank to see if there is already any coverage in place.