How much time will my boyfriend have to serve in state prison after being sentenced to 9 years?

Albany, NY |

I am not very good at math, I understand that he has to serve 2/3 of his sentence. Will that applied to flat sentence? Or intdetermined sentence? My boyfriend served 6 months at the county jail, I know that time will count but is it strictly 6 months or double that? If he did 6 months at the county jail, how long will be he at the prison? I understand it is up to DOC but please give me an esitmate years that he will have to do?

Need to know what he was convicted of. If it was a violent crime, he serves 6/7's of the time which is approx 7 3/4 years

If it's a non-violent, he will be eligible for release sooner with programs..

Finally, local time counts as only the amount served towards a straight sentence so 6 months is 6 months.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

I agree with my colleague.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
Jackson Heights, NY 11370
T. (347) 628-2391
F. (718) 672-4728
E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
www.EstrellaLawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com

Yes, he 6 months will be 6 months served. However, you need to speak with his attorney as we don't know the nature of the crime and other mitigating circumstances. His attorney should be able to give you a pretty accurate estimate.