How much time will my boyfriend have to serve in state prison after being sentenced to 9 years?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Albany, NY

I am not very good at math, I understand that he has to serve 2/3 of his sentence. Will that applied to flat sentence? Or intdetermined sentence? My boyfriend served 6 months at the county jail, I know that time will count but is it strictly 6 months or double that? If he did 6 months at the county jail, how long will be he at the prison? I understand it is up to DOC but please give me an esitmate years that he will have to do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Need to know what he was convicted of. If it was a violent crime, he serves 6/7's of the time which is approx 7 3/4 years

    If it's a non-violent, he will be eligible for release sooner with programs..

    Finally, local time counts as only the amount served towards a straight sentence so 6 months is 6 months.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  2. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
  3. Arkady Bukh


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Yes, he 6 months will be 6 months served. However, you need to speak with his attorney as we don't know the nature of the crime and other mitigating circumstances. His attorney should be able to give you a pretty accurate estimate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,462 answers this week

3,218 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,462 answers this week

3,218 attorneys answering