How much time will i serve if i violate?

Asked 4 months ago - Charlotte, NC

I was released on parole from GA to Charlotte. During my release I've been seeking jobs going to all my parole visits, took a rehab course and tested negative for no drugs. While looking for jobs i enrolled in a work study program and was labeled as model student. My family sent me some money for Thanksgiving to come see them in NY and my family and I went. Prior to doing so I informed ny teacher that i will not be in class due to being with family. I have never been on probation or parole. However, when i asked my P/O sheshe told be that i was not able to leave the state before 90 after my release. I was released in April 2013 . I did not know i had to ask for permission. She violated and i took a drug test whuch i failed but only because i was enjoying my vacation. What can i do?

1. F. "Bill" William Powers

Pro

1

Answered . Retain experienced legal counsel immediately!

More information is likely required, especially regarding whether the charges and/or probationary and/or "parole" term are from State Court or Federal Court charges.

2. Anna Morrison Goodwin

Pro

1

Answered . My colleagues are correct about the GA issues. I write only to say this - you failed the drug test. You are on probation. Even if you had no other issues, even if travel had been approved, etc., you set yourself up for failure. Using drugs is against the law. All that hard work because, "you were on vacation." If I was your attorney, I would just want to throw my hands in the air. Probation doesn't pause or stop on your terms. You are subject to the same terms and conditions no matter the circumstances. I really hope you enjoyed your drug of choice, because even with the misunderstanding regarding the travel, I really don't know how you get around that one. I hope the consequences aren't revocation of your sentence for a moment of pleasure.

3. Christopher James Welch

Pro

Answered . You may want to re-post this in an area where attorneys in Georgia will be likely to answer since your case comes from there. If you were being supervised in NC for parole in GA, the parole officer will send a report back to whoever manages your case in Georgia who will then determine what action to take. The amount of time you could serve presumably depends on the amount of suspended sentence you have left after you were paroled. I would speak to the lawyer who originally represented you on the underlying case in Georgia.