How much time will a prior convicted felon (possession charges) be given for a 13-1203A1-DV and 13-2904A1-DV

Asked over 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

Apparently my friend said some very rude things to the judge at his first hearing and now is waiting for another court date. He already has a record but not of domestic violence. I was curious how much time he will be sentenced.

1. Gregg R Woodnick

Answered . If your friend is a convicted felon for drug possession, I would bet he has a criminal history that is greater than simple drug possession. In Arizona, first time possessors are usually given an opportunity to clean up in exchange for a dismissal of the charges. (Commonly referred to as a TASC deal.) So, if your friend has a conviction, it leads to the assumption that he has been in trouble previously and was not eligible for TASC or had a larger drug quantity and plead down to a possession charge.

The new offense is unrelated, assuming it is just the Domestic Violence Charge and that he is being forthright with you. It is a misdemeanor and likely being handled in a Justice or City Court. Much depends on what the prosecutor is willing to do and what his actual criminal history is. He will likely be appointed a public defender. If you are not satisfied with that, consider hiring private counsel who can help resolve the situation. www.woodnicklaw.com