How much time is there typically to file an appeal after a divorce?

Lowell, MA |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce appeals

Should I talk to my lawyer beforehand, if I feel like that outcome is not going to be one I like?

1. Yes. If you have a lawyer it is always best to discuss possible outcomes with him or her.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

2. The appeals process is very cumbersome and procedural. There are numerous specific steps that need to be taken and if not taken properly, could dismiss your appeal. It is advisable that you speak with your current counsel who can file a Notice of Appeal on your behalf following the issuance of the Judgment and then it is advisable that you seek the services of an appellate attorney who can proceed with the appeal.

This response is for informational purposes only and not intended to be legal advice; nor is this answer intended to create an attorney/client relationship. Legal advice and an attorney/client relationship can only be rendered after a full in person consultation has been conducted with an attorney wherein all necessary facts and circumstances are disclosed. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the within response may be different.