How much time in jail do you get for a failure to appear? And what are my chances of getting charge reduced with probation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

I was arrested for failure to appear because I gave the wrong street address to the court by mistake and missed my court date. Mind you this was the third incident. The first two incidents were simply because I was unstable and my address changed a couple times. My original charge is a felony theft by taking charge. For a rental car a person I was seeing rented for me. Which the rental car company received back and I was also authorized to drive. Me and the guy had a disagreement about something and just out the blue he stops paying for rental without my knowledge. After which he reported car stolen when it was not and refuses to pay restitution. I have no felonies on my record as of now.

Also a lot of what was stated in the police report written by him was false information. I've been dealing with this issue for three years and I'm beyond tired of this situation. I just want it over with. I'm willing to pay restitution if it'll settle this case as soon as possible.

I also have an attorney but feel as if they aren't doing all they can to get this situation resolved immediately.

1. Michael Jason Rhoades

3

Answered . If you want to hire a different attorney, you are always free to do so. As a Gwinnett County criminal defense attorney, I know that things can drag on sometimes. However, I can usually get cases resolved pretty quickly if everyone is willing to work things out.
    Please let me know if I can be of assistance. I would be happy to help.
    Regards,
    M. Jason Rhoades

2. Allen Rust Knox

3

Answered . If you have an attorney, you need to address these issues with your counsel. If you want to talk to other attorneys about the charges, etc., you need to fire your present attorney and retain new counsel. If you are unsatisfied with your present counsel, you need to retain a new attorney.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . It appears that your prior conduct may suggest a rather irresponsible way of complying with the court's mandate. That being said, you cannot possibly represent your interests properly, correctly and competently in your felony criminal case given its procedural history.
    In my professional opinion you must have a competent counsel licensed in Georgia to assist you in this morass.

One or more answers have been taken down.