Skip to main content

How much time in jail do you get for a failure to appear? And what are my chances of getting charge reduced with probation?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I was arrested for failure to appear because I gave the wrong street address to the court by mistake and missed my court date. Mind you this was the third incident. The first two incidents were simply because I was unstable and my address changed a couple times. My original charge is a felony theft by taking charge. For a rental car a person I was seeing rented for me. Which the rental car company received back and I was also authorized to drive. Me and the guy had a disagreement about something and just out the blue he stops paying for rental without my knowledge. After which he reported car stolen when it was not and refuses to pay restitution. I have no felonies on my record as of now.

Also a lot of what was stated in the police report written by him was false information. I've been dealing with this issue for three years and I'm beyond tired of this situation. I just want it over with. I'm willing to pay restitution if it'll settle this case as soon as possible. I also have an attorney but feel as if they aren't doing all they can to get this situation resolved immediately.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you want to hire a different attorney, you are always free to do so. As a Gwinnett County criminal defense attorney, I know that things can drag on sometimes. However, I can usually get cases resolved pretty quickly if everyone is willing to work things out.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance. I would be happy to help.
M. Jason Rhoades


It appears that your prior conduct may suggest a rather irresponsible way of complying with the court's mandate. That being said, you cannot possibly represent your interests properly, correctly and competently in your felony criminal case given its procedural history.
In my professional opinion you must have a competent counsel licensed in Georgia to assist you in this morass.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602



I do have legal counsel to represent me

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


Request a Public Defender and thank you for marking the answer as helpful.


If you have an attorney, you need to address these issues with your counsel. If you want to talk to other attorneys about the charges, etc., you need to fire your present attorney and retain new counsel. If you are unsatisfied with your present counsel, you need to retain a new attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer