How much time does the state of Colorado have to attach assets to cover Medicade costs?

Gardnerville, NV |

A motor home and jeep were willed to myself and my sisters prior to my parents going in to a nursing home a year ago. That was their entire estate. As executor, prior to distribution of funds from the sale of the vehicles , I want to keep the money in an account until I am sure the money will not be attached by the state of Colorado.

1. Your question does not make any sense. I am changing your practice area to probate and adding some tags so some of the fine probate attorneys can point you in the right direction. I can advise you this may not be the right forum for you to discuss the specific facts of your situation. You may find it wise to seek out the assistance of an experienced probate attorney who practices in your county. There are many good ones available here who you can find through the search function at Avvo.com.

Of course, as always this answer is general in nature, applies only to Illinois law, assumes certain facts omitted from the question and does not take into account any facts specific to any person’s particular circumstances. No attorney/client relation is created hereunder and I highly recommend you seek first the counsel and advice of an experienced contested civil litigator prior to taking any actions relating to this matter, as seemingly insignificant actions may have unintended consequences.

2. I can't tell from your summary whether your parents signed title of the home and jeep to you a year ago, or whether they put in the will that you and your sister were to inherit these items. Have your parents passed in the past year? Were they residents of Colorado - I assume so since that is where medicaid came from - You must speak with a Colorado probate attorney as to whether a probate is necessary.

3. You really need to see a Colorado elder law or probate attorney who has experience with Medicaid recovery. Colorado's Medicaid lien isn't going to disappear. It's statutory. You need to deal with it. You don't want them coming after you down the road. The longer you wait the worse it can get.

Probate topics