How much time does credit card fraud hold in Richmond, VA

Asked 3 months ago - Richmond, VA

My girlfriend is being held in Henrico County for -THEFT OF CREDIT CARD / NUMBERS
CREDIT CARD FRAUD >= $200 OVER 6 MONTH PERIOD. She is from Delaware and went to Va with some friends. One of the girls stole credit cards and had my girlfriend and her friend swipe for different items. The total they spent was about $20,000. She has never been in trouble for anything like this before. I want to know how much time she is looking at beacuse i hear Va is a very tuff state.

1. Michael Eugene Hollingsworth Jr.

2

Answered . Mr. Sullivan outlined the punishment ranges for you on both charges (18.2-192 & 18.2-195). That is the range of time your friend is looking at if convicted and sentenced by a jury. If convicted and sentenced by a judge without a jury, her sentencing guidelines would reflect a different range. That's not an issue to be addressed on this forum. Please tell her to seek the advice of an experienced Virginia attorney.

2. Michael S Sullivan

1

Answered . Credit card theft is grand larceny in Virginia. Grand larceny has very flexible sentencing guidelines. The basic guideline is a sentence of imprisonment for anywhere from one to twenty years. At the court or jury's discretion, however, a sentence of one year or less in jail and/or a fine up to $2,500 may be imposed, instead.

Credit card fraud in excess of $200 in a six-month period or conspired to commit or actually committed within Virginia is a Class 6 felony. Class 6 felonies also have two sets of guidelines: (1) one to five years in prison; or (2) up to a year of jail time and a fine of up to $2,500.

Those are the guidelines. Your girlfriend should get a lawyer; either hire a private attorney or request a public defender.

Meanwhile, you should probably stop saying things which could be considered evidence of her guilt on the Internet.

3. John Naumovski

Pro

Answered . I would agree with the above attorney's advice