How much time does a three time felon get for grand larceny?

New York, NY |

his first offense since he was let out of prison about 4 years ago...

It would be a guess at this point without knowing more facts.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

It depends on which level Grand Larceny, what the prior felony conviction was for, and whether his lawyer can negotiate a lower level charge.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

You should retain a good lawyer who has a lot of experience at practices in New York City. If you are indigent you will have a public defender but on a serious matter like this where he is facing a mandatory prison term t is better to retain private counsel. I am a "10.0 superb" rated lawyer and you can see my rating and reviews on Avvo and check out my website for more information. The fee would depend on many factors but a plea is very reasonable while trial is always mush more money as it is about 50-100 hours work. If he knows that he cannot win a trial and it is just a plea bargain you could afford to retain any of the good criminal lawyer here on Avvo who almost always offer a free consultation. After a consultation many lawyers will be able to tell you the fee but not the sentence as that depends on many factors and he would have to talk to the prosecutor and judge. My guess its that he will do a year or less in jail unless there are mitigating circumstances.
John J. Carney 917 696 2363

Technically, the maximum sentence for a persistent felony offender (3 felonies) is life imprisonment. Go from there.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

The answer to your question depends on many factors including; if violence or perceived was used while committing the crime & what degree of larceny your friend was charged with. Grand larceny in the first degree is a class B felony while Grand Larceny in the third degree is a class D felony. Each charge has its specific guidelines with regards to sentencing.

Most criminal defense attorney's provide free consultations and would be happy to provide you with answers to your questions. If you don't want to consult an attorney another thought might be to Google "NY Penal Law + Article 155," which will provide further details about larceny laws in NY.

Hope that helps!