How much time do u spend if u get locked up by the bounty hunters for missing a court date dealing with simple assault?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Newark, NJ

he was arreseted before for aggravated assualt and terroristic threats but dont have any other criminal history!

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

12

Answered . Until the person is brought to court and a bail set. Most likely until he reaches the state the crime was committed in and is brought before a magistrate or judge for a bail hearing or a probation/parole violation hearing if that is the case. I would hire a local criminal defense attny if you can, if not they may appt. one. take care.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

2

12

3. Mark M Cheser

1

Answered . Unless you had bail posted by a bondsman there are no bounty hunters going after him. Bounty hunters do not lock you up. Courts do. The bail guys just find you. A simple assault charge cannot have a large bail set even on the failure to appear. Check with the court for the amount. Call with more information.

4. David Perry Davis

1

Answered . I agree with the prior responses.

If he missed a court date without just cause, then whatever bail he posted can be revoked, a new warrant issued, and a new bail amount set. In theory, they could try him in absentia (meaning "without him there") and sentence him, but it doesn't sound like that's what your describing.

Suggestion - get a criminal law attorney to make an application to the court to explain why he didn't show and either continue bail or set a new, reasonable bail that he can come up with. If he can't make bail, he sits in jail until trial and then, if sentenced to time, until the sentence is done.