How much time do u spend if u get locked up by the bounty hunters for missing a court date dealing with simple assault?

Newark, NJ |

he was arreseted before for aggravated assualt and terroristic threats but dont have any other criminal history!

1. Until the person is brought to court and a bail set. Most likely until he reaches the state the crime was committed in and is brought before a magistrate or judge for a bail hearing or a probation/parole violation hearing if that is the case. I would hire a local criminal defense attny if you can, if not they may appt. one. take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. Until the person is brought to court and a bail set. Most likely until he reaches the state the crime was committed in and is brought before a magistrate or judge for a bail hearing or a probation/parole violation hearing if that is the case. I would hire a local criminal defense attny if you can, if not they may appt. one. take care.

3. Unless you had bail posted by a bondsman there are no bounty hunters going after him. Bounty hunters do not lock you up. Courts do. The bail guys just find you. A simple assault charge cannot have a large bail set even on the failure to appear. Check with the court for the amount. Call with more information.

4. I agree with the prior responses.

If he missed a court date without just cause, then whatever bail he posted can be revoked, a new warrant issued, and a new bail amount set. In theory, they could try him in absentia (meaning "without him there") and sentence him, but it doesn't sound like that's what your describing.

Suggestion - get a criminal law attorney to make an application to the court to explain why he didn't show and either continue bail or set a new, reasonable bail that he can come up with. If he can't make bail, he sits in jail until trial and then, if sentenced to time, until the sentence is done.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.