How much time do I need to give my landlord in extend req for a termin tenancy notice on a month to month, to avoid eviction ?

Skokie, IL |

what can be done if landlord does not provide a written reply to a written request for extension
(If tenant wants to avoid eviction)?

Though your question is not clear, it appears you are saying your landlord notified you that he is terminating your month-to-month tenancy and you want more time than the typical 30 day notice.

Any extension would be at the discretion of the landlord and if the landlord does not approve the extension in writing you should assume there is no extension.

That said, if you are a good rent-paying tenant, most landlords will grant a reasonable extension rather than incurring the cost and stress of an eviction. If you have not been paying rent no landlord would grant such an extension.

Depending on the circumstances, a lawyer can be helpful in negotiating and documenting an extension.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

I agree with the prior answer. I'd add that an offer containing payment in advance for the extended time might help persuade the owner. However, make sure that any understanding is in writing and signed by both parties.

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.