How much time do I need in the US if I studied abroad with a US university program for a year and four days?

Asked 9 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a green card since 2008, was abroad for study one year and four days (2010-2011) and had a reentry permit. From Sept 2011 to January 2013, I did not leave the country. Left for 5.5 months and am back in the US now. According to what I have read staying abroad more than one calendar year disrupts the continuous residency requirement. Does that apply if I studied abroad through a US program and had a reentry permit? In that case do I need five years for the citizenship counting from 2011? and have to spend half of the time in the US? or do I only need four years?????
Thank you

1. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

4

Answered . 4 years and one day from the time you reestablished your residency in 2011 you are eligible Naturalize despite disrupting your continuous presence. The rule is 2 years and one day if married to a U.S. citizen. Yes, this applies even if studying abroad through a U.S. program and even if you had a reentry permit. You must also meet the physical presence requirement, meaning you must be physically present in the U.S. for at least ½ of the 5 (or 3) year residence period immediately prior to applying to Naturalize. Best of luck.

2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

2

Answered . Four years and one day from the date you re-established residence. The fact that you had a re-entry permit or studied in a U.S. program does not preserve your presence. You will of course need to meet all other naturalization criteria.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Four years and 1 day after re-establishing your residence in the US.