How much time do I need in the US if I studied abroad with a US university program for a year and four days?

Asked 10 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a green card since 2008, was abroad for study one year and four days (2010-2011) and had a reentry permit. From Sept 2011 to January 2013, I did not leave the country. Left for 5.5 months and am back in the US now. According to what I have read staying abroad more than one calendar year disrupts the continuous residency requirement. Does that apply if I studied abroad through a US program and had a reentry permit? In that case do I need five years for the citizenship counting from 2011? and have to spend half of the time in the US? or do I only need four years?????
Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeff L. Khurgel


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 4 years and one day from the time you reestablished your residency in 2011 you are eligible Naturalize despite disrupting your continuous presence. The rule is 2 years and one day if married to a U.S. citizen. Yes, this applies even if studying abroad through a U.S. program and even if you had a reentry permit. You must also meet the physical presence requirement, meaning you must be physically present in the U.S. for at least ½ of the 5 (or 3) year residence period immediately prior to applying to Naturalize. Best of luck.

    Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-... more
  2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Four years and one day from the date you re-established residence. The fact that you had a re-entry permit or studied in a U.S. program does not preserve your presence. You will of course need to meet all other naturalization criteria.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Four years and 1 day after re-establishing your residence in the US.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,846 answers this week

3,139 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,846 answers this week

3,139 attorneys answering