How much time could my husband get for an VOP? What can I do to help?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

He was arrested on warrants from 3 different cities for nonpayment. He has been unemployed and could not pay. He is being held in Delaney Hall with no bail. No hearing date has been set as of yet.

1. Marcie Lynn Mackolin

4

Answered . The VOP sentence will be geared toward what the original charges were, and what the nature of the violation(s) is and any prior history with probation. More information is needed in order to answer this question.

2. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . There are certain types of questions that can be simply answered on Avvo, while there are others that require considerably more analysis. For this particular question, you need to provide additional details concerning the specifics of your situation.

You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

3. Mark M Cheser

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . He can be sentenced to the maximum jail time permitted on the original charge. If a third degree that is 5 years. For nonpayment in Essex County, jail time might not happen. Call his attorney from the original case. That attorney has the entire file and will know the score better than a new attorney without this information.

One or more answers have been taken down.