How much time could i get on a first offense drug charge?

Baltimore, MD |

a friend was driving my car to the store for me and caught a flat tire so he pulled over on the side of the road with the hazard lights to see what was wrong , she didn't know that i had heroin in the trunk , the police pulled over to assist her but he asked her for license and registration but it was a rental and by the car not being in her name ( rental agreement ) he ask could he search she was like no i know my rights so they called for a 9 unit so she was charged with trafficking it was under thirty grams but we both have kids and i just cant let her sit in there i feel really bad what would my punishment be since it wasn't found on me . And would it still be trafficking

The police would probably charge you with the same offense as your friend. Jail time depends on the County your are charged, as well as how good is your lawyer.

The materials contained in this answer are provided as a public service and on an informational basis. These materials are not intended to be a comprehensive statement of Maryland law, and are not intended to convey legal advice. I answer all questions. However, this does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer until you pay me money. If you have a legal problem, you should consult with an attorney who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. If you need an attorney, you may contact me 410-828-9363 and I will be more than happy to give you a free initial consultation.

The maximum potential penalty depends entirely on the charge(s). In Maryland, possession of CDS (not marijuana) carries a maximum penalty of 4 years (Criminal Law Code Sec. 5-601(c)(1)) Possession with intent to distribute carries a maximum penalty of 5 years (Criminal Law Code Sec. 5-607(a).

If you have been charged with a crime, you should engage an attorney immediately. If you cannot afford a private attorney, apply for the services of the public defender.

Do not speak to the police or your friend/co-defendant without consulting with your attorney first.

You should not make potentially incriminating statements on a public forum. You need to speak with a lawyer NOW, to determine how to proceed. The amount of potential jail time depends on too many factors to list here. A lawyer could assist with this information.

I am pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with me through this website regarding a matter for which my firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to my law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.

Even a first time offender might be sentenced to serve the maximum indicated on your charge papers. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the states case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.