How much time can you get for burglary in Baltimore, Maryland ??

Baltimore, MD |

A friend of mine was charged with burglary in Baltimore, Maryland and was bonded out and then got arrested in Florida ( he was on probation and violated and was picked up). He served time for his Florida charges and that case is finished but now he has a hold from Baltimore. How much time is he facing from his Baltimore charges?? He does have a criminal record ( felony) already.

1. Even a first-time offender might be sentenced to serve the maximum penalty. Other sentences for parole or probation violations, or for other cases, might be run consecutively. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

2. The time he is facing may depend not only on his criminal record, but also on the degree of burglary for which he is charged. The maximum penalty for a first degree burglary is greater than a maximum penalty for a fourth degree burglary. There may be other charges associated with the burglary as well. An experienced defense attorney would be able to evaluate the case against him to determine if there are any defenses that may be raised and would be able to provide mitigating information about your friend that would help reduce any possible sentences.

Answers to questions are not legal advice but information for general use only and do not form an attorney-client relationship.

3. It depends on what degree of burglary. It could be anywhere from just a few years to a lot of years.

Nothing posted on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice. For actual legal advice, please call Mr. Cleckner at 301-789-1616 or email at jay@mdnotguilty.com. He will provide a FREE in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.