How much surcharge I would have to pay for 2 points

East Brunswick, NJ |

My son got a ticket for unsafe lane change and was rear ended. He lost control of the car when he swerved to avoid hitting something in the road. I am planning to appeal the ticket, hoping to reduce the fee and no points.

1. You would not normaly have any type of MVC surcharge for a 2 point ticket. Your Insurance Company's surcharge will varry and for that information you need to call your carrier. Also, you should consider hiring an attorney to help defend against the ticket.

While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular matter, this Firm's opinion, suggestions and answers are not guaranteed. Further, the Law Firm's answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship will only be created through a fully executed retainer agreement.

2. A common plea offer for this type of ticket is "Unsafe Operation" also known as "Unsafe Driving." That plea offer comes with a $250 state surcharge on top of the fine for the ticket and court costs. How your insurance company assesses surcharges is up to them. Since an accident was involved, it is a good idea to be represented by an attorney.

3. You would not have an MVC surcharge for a 2 point ticket, but your ins co may increase your premium. It depends on your history.

Do NOT rely on this answer as the information provided here is not legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. No surcharge for 2 points. If he has a provisional license he cannot get 0 points.

Traffic tickets topics