How much surcharge I would have to pay for 2 points

Asked 4 months ago - East Brunswick, NJ

My son got a ticket for unsafe lane change and was rear ended. He lost control of the car when he swerved to avoid hitting something in the road. I am planning to appeal the ticket, hoping to reduce the fee and no points.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Douglas Wayne Jones Jr

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would not normaly have any type of MVC surcharge for a 2 point ticket. Your Insurance Company's surcharge will varry and for that information you need to call your carrier. Also, you should consider hiring an attorney to help defend against the ticket.

    While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular... more
  2. Jason T Komninos

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A common plea offer for this type of ticket is "Unsafe Operation" also known as "Unsafe Driving." That plea offer comes with a $250 state surcharge on top of the fine for the ticket and court costs. How your insurance company assesses surcharges is up to them. Since an accident was involved, it is a good idea to be represented by an attorney.

  3. Michael L Pescatore

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You would not have an MVC surcharge for a 2 point ticket, but your ins co may increase your premium. It depends on your history.

    Do NOT rely on this answer as the information provided here is not legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal... more
  4. Mark M Cheser


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No surcharge for 2 points. If he has a provisional license he cannot get 0 points.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now