How much should i sue for a hit and run?

Asked 11 months ago - Torrance, CA

I was involved in a accident today. I was hit from behind by a guy who was speeding. We both pulled over in a plaza to exchange information but before we could do that he was asking to not involve the cops. The guy was panicking a lot when i said i have to call the cops. Then before you know it he took off but luckily i was able to get a good picture of his plates before he left. I called the cops and paramedics came, i told the paramedics i had a slight pain in my neck but i said i didnt need to go to the hospital. The cops filed a report and are most likely going to catch the guy since i got his plates. Im planning to sue the man who fled the scene. How much do you think i should sue for the hit and run, and what other charges can i sue him for?

1. Raymond Jacob Zolekhian

Pro

11

Answered . It really depends on your injuries. An attorney can give you a better idea. You may also be able to recover from your own insurance company if you have uninsured motorist coverage.

2. Sagar P. Parikh

8

Answered . Hard to say until you consult with an attorney and give your full story and discuss your injuries, any loss of earnings, pain and suffering, etc.

SP@BeverlyHillsLawCorp.com
    323-703-3581

3. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

8

Answered . You can sue the guy who hit you for the reasonable value of your personal injuries (the amount of your medical bills, lost wages, pin and suffering, etc.) and for any property damage.You cannot get a separate recovery for hit and run, although that conduct will portray him in a bad light if this case ever came to trial. There are no "charges" you can sue for, just a suit for your compensatory damages.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

6

Answered . How much you can sue depends on your injuries. Get treated and then hire a PI lawyer ot advise you. Best of luck.

5. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

5

Answered . As everyone else said, it depends on your injuries. There's no extra money you can get because the other driver took off. You should hope he has insurance. I suspect you'll need a doctor and to check to see if your policy as UM coverage.

Many firms, including my own, will give you a free consultation re: these issues and can get you to a doctor who will defer payment until your case resolves.

6. Michael Shemtoub

2

Best Answer

Answered . I work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is there is no way to determine the value of your case until you have finished treatment. You should be filing a claim, but you should do it through an attorney. Whenever someone makes a claim against an insurance company the insurance company usually gives you a very difficult time. I've seen insurance companies lie to their own insured before. Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hire can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case.

You have some great facts, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. You should hire an attorney so you're not bullied around! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases in the Torrance, CA area.

Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that they will offer you by yourself. Call an attorney today, you won't regret it.

We all give free consultations! Make your life easier and hire a lawyer.

Pro

3

Answered . A billion dollars........just kidding....retain one of the above distinguished attorneys to handle the case so you get properly compensated