How much should I settle for or do I need a lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, KY

I have a retaliation case open with the EEOC. I quit my job 3+ months after I got demoted due to continual harassment from my supervisors and after HR, the union, or my supervisor did nothing. I got demoted after my mother filed a sexual harassment charge against my boss. I got a call from the EEOC and they asked me what would I take to settle. What would be fair to me to ask for? Or should I get a lawyer so I don't get screwed? THANK YOU!

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

1

Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

It sounds like the EEOC is inviting you to mediate. In nearly every case, yes, you need your own attorney. The EEOC is not your representative. A mediator for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) www.eeoc.gov has one client – the United States of America. Some EEOC mediators are great and will do their best to protect you rights even though they are not your advocate. Some EEOC mediators stink and care more about closing the case than they care about your rights.

Because the EEOC has a particular mission and because it is not representing you, if it turns out your interests and those of the EEOC clash, the EEOC mediator will first and foremost make sure the agency’s goals are carried out, not yours.

Also, the EEOC will only consider issues relevant to laws the EEOC enforces, such as discrimination laws. It will not consider such things as employer liability under state law (which in some states, like California, is substantially more than under federal law), wage and hour violations, mutuality in the settlement agreement, circumstances under which you might have to return the money, the language of the settlement agreement (which could have all kinds of "gotchas" that the EEOC doesn't notice or doesn't deal with), and more.

In addition, EEOC mediators most often handle low-value cases because that is what ends up in their offices. They handle high-value cases far less frequently, and even less frequently handle high-value cases where the charging party doesn’t have an attorney. If you show up without an attorney, the mediator may interpret your case as low-value, even if it isn’t. Of course the mediator may learn the value of your case during the mediation, but why start off with such a large obstacle?

Similarly, without an attorney, the employer probably won't take you or your case seriously, and may be able to take advantage of you. No one is watching your back if you don't have your own attorney.

Consider that the employer most likely has an attorney or has consulted with its attorney. Even if the employer doesn't have an attorney, it usually has human resources personnel who have been down this route before and know far better than you do how to use the system to its own advantage.

It is nearly always the case that a charging party will do better overall with an attorney, even taking into consideration the attorney's fees portion of the recovery.

Employment law is complicated and fact specific. You may wish to speak with an experienced plaintiffs employment attorney. You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site www.nela.org. NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

2. Joel Phillip Nichols

Pro

Answered . Settlement negotiation decisions require careful analysis and strategy by an experienced employment attorney. You should definitely seek competent counsel licensed in your state before engaging in any settlement negotiations with the EEOC and your former employer.

3. Mordechai Elazar Book

Answered . As a mediator I always believe that a party should have an attorney familiar with the law and the facts advising whether the parameters of a deal are "fair," whatever that means, to the client based upon the particular circumstances of the case (strength of case, and alternatives to settling, for example).