How much should I settle for in my car accident settlement?

Roseburg, OR |

10,000 medical 8,000 car damages
soft tissue damage to neck and back
unaligned spine
went to chiropractor for 8 months
still occasionally have back pain

I was 16 years old rear ended completely stopped at a stop light 80 year old lady hit me going 35 mph no pre-existing conditions state of Oregon

1. It depends on additional factors not identified including, but not limited to, whos fault was it, what is the diagnosis, what is the prognosis, are there legal defenses on liability and/or damages, how much of the medicals are outstanding, are there liens, etc. etc. There many more factors too. Seek representation by an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss in detail. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

2. This sounds serious. I woud suggest you consult a local personal injury lawyer who has experience in these types of cases. A good lawyer can usually do substantially better than you can do in your own case.

It is hard to know value without knowing all the facts. A good local personal injury lawyer can help.

3. It is impossible for any of us to tell you what your case is worth without the opportunity to review your records, talk to you, interview witnesses and doctors, etc. An experienced personal injury attorney can do all of those things for you. Trying to negotiate with an insurance carrier on your own is not a wise decision.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

4. There is no formula or magic answer to your question as value is based on many factors. Do yourself a favor and consider consulting with an attorney who is experienced in these matters in your locality.

5. The factors that need to be considered in evaluating a personal injury claim include medical bills, but more important are numerous indicators such as how the actual injuries impacted the individual and the potential for continuing residual problems. There is no mathematical formula. The insurance industry's own statistics confirm that unrepresented people are paid very low settlements compared to those with professional legal representation. If there is an injury calculator, click the blue link below to see:

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

6. Without a lawyer, trying to settle it yourself will likely get you 1/10th of the true value of the claim. Get a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee to get maximum compensation.

7. A personal injury attorney can give you a better idea of the value of your case. Most, myself included, would be happy to talk to you and would be willing to take your case with no out-of-pocket expense to you.

The one thing that you really shouldn't do is try to settle this case by yourself. Insurance companies make very low offers to people who don't have attorneys. This is because they know that eventually you will have to settle, you can't try the case by yourself. Without a lawyer, you do not have much bargaining power. In my experience, clients who resolve their case with a settlement usually do so for several times what the insurance company offered them initially when they were not represented by counsel.

8. Every case is different. You should ask your questions and have them answered by a lawyer in the state in which you live. Only after considering all of the factors in an individual case, after acquiring all of the pertinent medical and claim information can any attorney give you an accurate and informed answer to the question you pose.