How much should I settle for in an auto accident with personal injury and pain and suffering?

Westminster, MD |

I was not employed when my car was totaled by a driver who rear ended me, however I did get a concussion due to the accident, I had to see a doctor, and take a prescription, and possibly need a x ray , mri, and physical therapy to make sure nothing more serious happened. I also now have no transportation to look for or go to a job because at the time I had three prospects, I also had to cancel all of my college courses I had registered for because of this accident. I am working with a lawyer but want to set the price myself.

1. With all due respect it is your attorney who is experienced in deciding the value of a settlement. There is no simple formula - it depends on the medical evidence/medical charges; future medical treatment; amount of any permanent disability; limitation on future employment; etc etc. A good personal injury attorney is aware of the jury verdicts for similar injuries and which insurance companies are more liberal in their settlements etc. It is a complex decision that requires experience & professional training. Lister to your attorney - that is what you are paying him/her for. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

2. Personal injury case evaluation is one of the primary reasons for retaining an experienced attorney. In other words, you would not go to a physician and set the clinical observations, diagnosis and prescription yourself. Here's how personal injury cases are evaluated: [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

3. You should trust your attorney. You hired an attorney for this very reason - to maximize your claim, protect your interests and use his experience to get a recovery. We have experience negotiating claims, and we know the arguments the insurance company will use to defeat a claim, and what will make your claim strong and what the weaknesses are. Your attorney is in the best position to evaluate your claim as he is most familiar with your treatment. You say you want to set the price yourself, but you are asking us what that price should be. We do not have all of your records and bills to make that determination, but your attorney does.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.

4. The phrase "want to set the price myself" raises the image of someone shooting a hole in the bottom of their own boat just as the water is getting deep. Rely on the expertise that you hired.