How much should i settle for in a medical negligence case?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

i paid almost $6000 to a laser hair removal spa and they failed to get results because of the low fluence settings and an inappropriate laser. they guaranteed the results and failed to deliver. i have pictures and my medical file to prove my case in small claims. it will cost money to correct the problem. they would want me to sign a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement and stop further investigation through the board. how much should i ask? there were also additional side effects like increased hair growth because of the low settings.

1. Michael Charles Doland

8

1

Answered . An online forum cannot give you such a specific answer. A very experienced med-mal attorney could look at your paperwork and medical records, interview you, and give you a range of values. If the lawyer made the contact, you would probably receive more. Good luck in resolving this.

2. Robert Don Fink

8

Answered . Unfortunately, nobody here can answer that question. There are too many factors that must be considered. You should speak with a local medical malpractice lawyer about it. He/she will also likely be able to secure a better settlement than if you handle it yourself.

3. Donald A Green

5

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, but will add that you need to weigh the costs and benefits of moving forward with litigation. In a case like this, it wouldn't surprise me if the cost of pursuing your claim well exceeded the damages value of the case. Mal is very expensive and difficult to prove. Additionally, every procedure carries risks and I think it's highly unlikely they would guarantee the results - at least not in writing. Read through your records and I almost guarantee you that you signed a disclosure and assumption of risks. Nonetheless, a full analysis requires a comprehensive review of your records. Also be aware that claims for med Mal must be filed within one year in CA. For these reasons you should contact an attorney immediately if you really feel you have been harmed