How much should I pay for a living will to be drawn up?

Clarksville, TN |

I don't have any more details.

Your state may have a prescribed or suggested form of living will either by statute or through the local bar association. Make some inquiries through the TN Bar Association to see what you can learn. If you do need to contact an attorney, the form should be readily available to him or her and should be relatively inexpensive to obtain. Most of the time, however, a living will is only one of several documents that every person should have in a good and complete estate plan. Such a plan usually includes a will or trust, a medical and a general power of attorney (or a combination of the two in one document) and a living will. I suggest that you contact one or more attorneys' offices, confirm that they provide a free initial consultation, discuss you personal situation and get a fee quote as to the total cost to provide what you should have.

This office is licensed to practice law only in the state of Colorado. The answer provided above is for general information only, is not intended and should not be taken as specific legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship with the party making the inquiry.

I agree with Attorney Weaver. A living will should be part of a complete estate plan, including a will, power of attorney and, perhaps, a revocable living trust. As counsel noted, many attorneys provide an initial complimentary consultation so please meet with two or three attorneys and determine which attorney is the best fit in your circumstances. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

That document is just one of the documents you need in an integrated estate plan although I prefer the term wealth preservation plan. It is much more cost effective to have all of your planning documents done at one time rather than piecemeal. The cost will vary from attorney to attorney depending on location, experience, expertise and the amount of time you need to spend with the attorney to have your options explained to you and to implement your plan. What is peace of mind worth to you?

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates