How much should i expect to spend on a defense attorney for petit larceny?

Buffalo, NY |

So long story short, i was with my roommate at Walmart buying groceries. He was shoplifting and i wasn't. but i got arrested because i was with him. They thought i was his partner in stealing. I spoke to a defense attorney and he said the best thing for me right now is to try and get an ACD and that his fee is $1500. Is this price reasonable?

That price is certainly reasonable.

There is no correct answer. Attorneys charge prices that vary widely byou should consult with a number if attorneys before deciding. If you are financially eligible the court may appoint counsel. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

Lawyers charge based on their experience and the complexity of the case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

That definitely sounds reasonable for a case like this. Expect to spend more if the case actually proceeds to trial, though.

For more information visit www.reibsteinlaw.com. Please note that unless a formal letter of engagement or retainer agreement has been entered into by and between the reader and the attorney this answer shall not be construed as official legal advice on any specific facts or circumstances. Its contents are intended for general information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship has been created.

Shoplifting topics