How much should I expect to pay an attorney for representation on a first DUI? Is it better to pay an hourly or flat fee.

Asked over 2 years ago - Littleton, CO

28-year old daughter was stopped and arrested for a DUI with a .1 level. Has a good driving record and hasn't been in trouble with the law. She's terrified of the consequences and wants to make sure she is represented well.

1. Kimberly Keheley Frye

Pro

10

Answered . This question cannot be adequately answered on an open forum list. However, it is easily answered in an attorney's office. Please take some time and set up consultations with your daughter for at least 3 experienced local DUI counsel in your area. If you cannot find one, I will help you find some good attorneys. This will help you determine if your daughter will be represented well. This situation will take some time to resolve and may impact your daughter for the rest of her life. Do not be afraid to ask any attorney these questions when you meet with them.

Good Luck,

2. Derek Michael Smith

7

Answered . What a DUI attorney will charge depends on a lot of things, her level of experience, the severity of the case, any travel costs, and a projection about what she believes is likely to happen in the case. There is no real way to answer this, but you should find a few on Avvo and contact them. Most attorneys offer free consultations. Find some that do. Have your daughter ask them about her case and for quotes. Hire the one who she like best in her price range. A good attorney will help greatly in lowering the stress of the situation since they know far more about it than you and will be able to reduce the stress of the unknown. She should write down her questions in advance because sometimes clients aren't able to remember them. Writing down the answers doesn't hurt comprehension later either since a lot of information will be coming at her.

3. Rhidian David Watson Orr

3

Answered . All the previous responses are correct. Keep in mind that you pay for experience, expertise, knowledge, training, time, etc. Attorneys claiming to offer quality representation for a low cost are a red flag and should be avoided. As with most things, you get what you pay for and in the legal field it is not any different. Now paying a high fee doesn't guarantee that you will get quality reprsentation, so you need to do your due diligence in interviewing and selecting an attorney. Most DUI attorneys in CO charge a flat fee. It is really your choice on what type of fee structure you prefer, but most of the time a flat fee is the way to go. You probably don't want to pay your attorney for 4 hours at $250-$300/hr (travel, waiting for the DA, waiting for the Judge to take the bench, waiting for the in-custodies, etc) of time when he/she only got to meet with the DA for 15 minutes.

As others have stated, pick 2 or 3 of the top DUI Defense attorneys in the Denver Metro Area, schedule an in-office consultation with them and hire the one you feel the most comfortable with and that you both feel the most confident it.

The DUI process can last 5-9 months or more so you want to be comfortable with the attorney you hire. My firm handles DUI and traffic cases exclusively, so I would be glad to talk to your daughter about her case and provide her with a free consultation. Feel free to call my office or have your daughter call my office.

4. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. That's like asking how much does a car cost? Depends on what kind of car and what options come with it. You wouldn't buy a car solely on price, right? Shop around for someone you feel comfortable with. Good Luck!

5. Karl J Geil

1

Answered . Also, make sure you ask about costs other than attorney's fees associated with the case, like the cost of having the blood or breath sample retested. Good lawyers will tell you up front what is involved in handling your case.