How much should I ask for in settlement for an air bag scar on my arm.

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I was in an accident last month where my car was totaled by another driver and I was not at fault. The air bag burned my arm and now I have what looks to be a permanent scar on my arm. I missed four days of work. What is reasonable above what is being paid for my medical treatment for this? I don't want to be greedy or unfair, but I'm going to be self conscious everytime I where short sleeves for the rest of my life so I think I deserve something. Am I right?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Experienced personal injury attorneys have dealt with many, many cases and thus, they have valued many, many cases. The value of scars depend on many factors: man vs. woman; face vs. body; hidden vs. showing with clothing; age of victim; size of scar. Female models will get more money for a facial scar than a man with a facial scar. My colleague is correct when he says that women tend to receive better offers than men. Look for the experienced attorney to get a great evaluation. And make sure you take pictures of the scarred area today!!

2. Benjamin Russell Anderson

4

Answered . Yes, you do deserve something for your anguish above the medical bills. Candidly, I'm not sure if you're male or female, but with scars females tend to see better offers. Us guys tend to show-off our scars like they're badges. Depending on the severity of the scars you could see a reasonable offer to settle. If you haven't taken pictures yet, you definitely should. Scars tend to lessen in severity with time, and you want to memorialize the severity with photos. I would recommend consulting with a local personal injury attorney. If there was air bag deployment then your collision was probably fairly violent, in which case, photographs of the property damage would help demonstrate the violent impact. Call an attorney soon. Best of luck.

3. Mark H. Freedman

2

Answered . It certainly depends on a variety of factors including the location and visibility of the scar as well as the potential permanent nature of the scar. In these types of cases I often request that clients take a series of photographs of the scar over a signficant period of time. This helps to determine if the scar is beginning to keloid or "bubble" which helps to establish permanancy. An experienced attorney will also have you undergo a plastic surgery evaluation to further establish the permanent nature of the scar and what type of revision procedure might be necessary in the future to eliminate the scar. I have found these evaluations to be very beneficial as they tend to validate and increase the value of any scar claim.