How much should I ask for compensation if my son was injured with a malfunctioning toy?

Asked 12 months ago - Monroe, WA

My 3 year old son was playing with a toy fire extinguisher squirt gun. Pressure, or something built inside it causing the handle to explode in his face, leaving a scratch on his cheek. I have contacted the manufacturer and have been asked how much money I want for compensation. My son did not seek any medical attention. I am unsure of how much money to ask for.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Steven L Shaw

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's not an easy question to answer, but ultimately it should be enough to compensate for something that was painful, and that will take time to heal.

    Consider reaching out to a few personal injury attorneys in your area for more information, however, I suspect you will be able to handle this on your own.

  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless you took him to a doctor and there is a scar, it would likely not be worth much, so it is your call.

  3. Scott Douglas Camassar


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Fair compensation depends on the nature and extent of the injury. Sounds like this was (fortunately) very minor and I assume won't result in any permanent scarring, in which case it's not worth much. If I'm correct, the case is probably not worth more than a couple hundred dollars. I'd say ask for $500 and see what they offer.

  4. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Without medical attention and only a small scratch, your damages are rather small. Perhaps ask for $500 and see what happens?

    You can help other people by reporting this problem to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  5. Ashley Noelle White

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Considering your son did not seek any medical attention for any injuries , his claim, in theory, is not worth very much. I would suggest you contact a personal injury attorney for a free consultation to discuss the facts, further explain your potential claim and determine the "value" of the claim.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,267 answers this week

2,759 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary