How much should a joint petition for a divorce cost

Brookline, MA |
Filed under: Divorce

if everything is agreed to what is the best price

The filing fee of 215 and some legal time, please ask around, a lawyer closer to Canton (norfolk probate) may give you a better rate than one further away, plus or minus $2k is about right for a professional devoting his or her whole day to your case and anything after or before, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. Including the filing fee ($215.00), probably $2,000 - $3,000 to work with an attorney.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I am licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and have an office in Waltham. My practice is focused in the areas of family law, estate planning, probate, elder law, landlord-tenant and employment law. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. Please contact me with questions and concerns at: (T): 781-647-8100 (E): josh@ccrlawgroup.com I wish you all the best.

3. It depends on if you do it yourself or if you hire an attorney. The filing fee at the court for a joint petition for divorce is $215. Most attorneys will charge a flat fee to help you with the paperwork and draft a separation agreement. I would say on average $2000.

Best,

Melissa

Melissa Levine is a licensed attorney in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by Attorney Levine answering your question. It is advisable to consult with an attorney about your personal legal concerns.

4. Shop around please, I don't believe prices should be quoted on this forum.

This is not legal advice until I am retained and have reviewed all facts about your situation.

5. I agree with all of my colleagues who have answered so far. No two Joint Petitions are alike. Some are more involved depending on the amount of assets and documentation necessary to divide those assets. A Joint petition with few, or no, assets would , of course, be much less expensive. Best of luck to you.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged and/or wherein the legal issue arises; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State in which your particular issue has arisen.

6. I think the dollar amounts that have been quoted here are pretty typical.

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on generalized Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. If you would like an attorney with Vaughn-Martel Law to review your specific situation and provide you with legal options or information specific to you, you may schedule a telephone or office by calling 617-357-4898 or visiting us at www.vaughnmartel.com. Our office charges $100.00 for a consultation, and applies your consultation fee to your first bill if the Firm is hired to perform further work.