How much severance should I ask my employer for after 9 months of workings for his adult mentally challenged son.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hawthorne, CA

I was abruptly fired my employer claiming it just wasn't working. My employer is a billionaire and only offered me 1 months salary. I was hired as a driver but provided a wide variety of different jobs to his son. After 10 months of using me through a limo company they hired me on privately. I have 4 kids and need to make sure I get the best deal possible.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

6

Answered . Make any deal you can. The law does not require your former employer to pay any severance whatsoever and there are no facts in your post to suggest that you have any bargaining power to induce a severance payment. The offer of a month's pay is a gift. But there is nothing in the law to stop you from making a request of any amount.

Most billionaires (yeah yeah) didn't get into that club by not knowing when to give their money away.

2. Brad S Kane

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Under California law, there is no requirement to pay severance benefits, unless it provided for in a contract, collective bargaining agreement or by statute where there are mass layoffs such as under the Federal Warn Act.

I would suggest speaking with an employment lawyer to see if you are entitled to overtime, etc. as well as circumstances of your termination to learn what benefits or wages you may be entitled to before attempting to negotiate your severance package.

3. Thomas Carson Walker

Pro

1

Answered . Well, I would hardly call it a gift...I suspect you will be signing release to obtain that money. But I agree that overall it's all about leverage and in this situation as you describe it - 10 months of employment - your leverage seems limited. Perhaps you should change your focus a little; ask for additional terms..like a letter of reference, some lump-sum pre-paid reimbursement for medical insurance premiums, perhaps a lump-sum amount to join a recruiter network, etc.

One or more answers have been taken down.