How much rent can be raised in less than a month, Is there a limit?

Sun City, CA |

It seems as though rent has been raised triple the amount I was paying last month. Is there a limit on how much can be raised in one month? Do they have to give me notice (30, 60 dys), if so how many days do I get? Can I sue for raising the rent without giving me prior notification, what are my options?

I assume you do not have a fixed term lease. Unless your rental dwelling is subject to rent control (such as the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance), there is no limit to how much or how often the landlord can raise the rent. However, the landlord must give you at least 30 days notice if the rent increase is 10% or less. The landlord must give you at least 60 days notice if the rent increase is greater than 10%. See the discussion at:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml

No, you cannot sue for rent increases unless the rent increase is retaliatory.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Mr. Chen is correct. They must give advance notice. Typically, a landlord will raise the rent 10% or less, for several months in a row, to avoid the appearance of retaliation for something.

You should contact a local landlord-tenant lawyer to assist you further. If you decide not to do this, consider moving ASAP.

Adam Jaffe Law Office of Adam Jay Jaffe 124 Lomas Santa Fe Dr, #204 Solana Beach, CA 92075 (619) 810-7964 www.smallclaimsappeals.com Adam@AdamJayJaffe.com This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice". Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different states.

Mr. Chen is correct. Almost in every state -- in instances where there is no fixed term lease -- rent can be raised upon written notice of same. The amount of notice in your state (i.e. 30 or 60 days) depends on the amount of the proposed rent increase.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.