How much punitive damages can we get in appellate division if we win the appeal?

We will use writ to remove the previous error appeal judgment and file a new appeal at high level appellate division with attorneys. Can my attorneys receive their legal fees from Judge awards? Can we receive punitive damages due to the previous Judgment had serious error and the defendant harmed us seriously.

Los Angeles, CA -

Charles Richard Perry

Charles Richard Perry

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Hollister, CA

The appellate court will not award attorney's fees, and it will not award punitive damages. Those are questions for the trial court to decide, assuming you win on appeal and the judgment is reversed.

Antoinette Cara Liewen

Antoinette Cara Liewen

Real Estate Attorney - Camarillo, CA

The appeals court only reviews what happened in the trial court. The appellate court has no jurisdiction to award punitive damages or attorney fees. If the appellate court finds that there was error, it will remand the case to the trial court for a new trial or determination on the errors.

Herb Fox

Herb Fox

Appeals Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

To back up my colleagues and address your additional comments: an appeal at the appellate division is not a new trial, and the appellate division does not award damages, Instead it reviews the decision of the trial judge - no new evidence and new damages. The appellate division simply affirms or reverses the decision of the trial judge or jury; if the trial judge or jury awarded punitive damages, the appellate division can affirm or reverse that as well. Nor are you entitled to punitive damages on the basis that the trial judge made a legal error.
My response assumes that your strategy (using a writ to "remove" the prior judgment and file a new appeal) makes sens, and that you have the right to an appeal. I am sorry to inform you that It does not makes sense to me as an experienced appellate attorney.