How much of my joint asset money can I spend on an attorney and on personal expenses

after the divorce is filed?

Dover, MA -

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Family Law Attorney - Dover, MA

You may spend what is necessary and reasonable, don't go overboard or the court may and still might order that amount attributed to your side of the marital estate. The rule is that you may use joint assets for ordinary and necessary expenses which include legal fees. As far as personal expense, food, shelter, reasonable clothing. I wouldn't buy a fur coat or a diamond bracelet unless you are very wealthy and that is ordinary to you. Take care and I hope it works out, moreso I hope that you find happiness.

Diana I. Sorrentini-Velez

Diana I. Sorrentini-Velez

Family Law Attorney - Springfield, MA

You are entitled to pay your personal expenses as you normally would have prior to the filing of divorce. The automatic restraining order is intended only to prevent either party from "gifting" significant sums of money, or otherwise, spending significant funds during the pendency of the divorce. You are entitled to utilize funds, joint or individual, to retain an Attorney to represent you as long as the amount is reasonable.

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

Family Law Attorney - Andover, MA

Usual expenses and there is defined limit on attorney fees

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

Family Law Attorney - Boston, MA

Attorneys fees may be expended and must be reported on your financial statement. You may also continue to spend your money consistent with how you spent your money prior to filing for divorce. As the others have said, you may not make any substantial transfers of money or property and you should take care not to make any unreasonable purchases.

Donald Lloyd Pitman

Donald Lloyd Pitman

Family Law Attorney - Newburyport, MA

I would agree with the other answers you have received, but you can also ask the Court for a pretrial advance distribution of the assets in your estate if you have enough of them. Generally, a Court will allow you to do this if the other side has spent money without permission (before the divorce) or if you will need money for attorney's fees or experts. However, you should definitely consult with an attorney before taking these steps.