How much of an accommodation can a student with a disability get in higher education?

Filed under: Education law

CAN the student receive accommodation from college "unless the entity can demonstrate that taking such steps would fundamentally alter the nature of the good, service, facility, privilege, advantage or accommodation being offered or would result in an undue burden." (excerpt from ADA)? If the student and the college do not agree on what is the appropriate accommodation, how can they find a solution with this vague definition?

I appreciate your question. This is a complicated area of the law which has undergone a number of changes over the past few years. Fortunately, those changes have been generally positive for high-achieving disabled students. The Americans with Disabilities Act was amended in 2008, and there have been further explanations (or regulations) published to that law which may be very helpful in your case. The excerpt you quote from the ADA is accurate but I'm not sure it's relevant to your case unless I know more about the accommodation your requesting and what your (or your child's) disability is. Many of the typical accommodations do not fall under the exception you quoted.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented here should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law