How much of a settlement am I entitled to for my personal injury claim if my medical bills are 18k?

Anchorage, AK |

I was rear ended on 19 Dec 2009 while at a red light. My medical bills are around 18,000.00. I got a letter from the insurance company stating they will pay me $3,000.00 for my bodily injury and will cover my medical cost which are around $18,000.00. I still have some thoracic pain and wake up in pain while sleeping. I was curious to see how much of a settlement for my bodily injury I am entitled too?

1. That sounds way too low. Insurance company is trying to take advantage of you because you do not have an attorney. In CA your claim could be worth more than $50,000. Consult a PI attorney in Anchorage.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

2. I agree that it sounds low. Your query indicated that you are still recovering. Personal injury attorneys usually meet with people without a charge and you should take advantage of that opportunity to meet with an attorney in Alaska and get their take on it.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Washington and my response is based solely on Washington law unless stated otherwise.

3. Well, I will add my vote that the offer seems too low. You should understand however that the process of valuing a personal injury case is highly case specific, and highly subjective as well. One significant issue is what potential jury verdicts are like in the jurisdiction where the case would have to be tried if a trial were necessary. I would not be at all su rprised if the dynamics of jury trials in Alaska were significantly different from what is experienced in the lower 48. But I would want to know much more about your case, and your injuries, and your treatment. In the first place, this accident happened only a few months ago, and yet you have a rather significant amount of injuries. That raises two opposite possibilities in mind. First, I wonder if the defense can make a case that your treatment was excessive and unreasonable. Just because you went to a doctor, and received treatment, and incurred bills does not necessarily mean that a jury will see all of that as being reasonable and necessary. Conversely, because of your large amount of medical bills, I am wondering if you have a serious injury, and if so, whether you are dome with treatment or need more treatment. If you are still under doctor's care, and/or in need of more treatment, then it is premature to even think of the value of your case.

Partly because of the large amount of bills you have, I want to strongly urge you to retain an experienced personal injury attorney. Such an attorney will help you evaluate all aspects of your case. He will make sure that your medical care is properly focused on getting the best medical outcome for you, while at the same time provideing the best documentation of your injuries. He will help you to identify all possible sources of recovery, as there may be recoveries to be had other than from the other driver and his insurer. Finally, the lawyer, bases on his experience will be in the best position to evaluate your case, and then negotiate it with the applicable insurer(s). Good luck.

The author of this post is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This post is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Well, it really depends on the amount of property damage and the full extent of your injuries. It also depends on whether you have any pre-existing injuries. You should consult /w an attorney in your area for further information.