How much of a reason does a landlord need to evict a tenant. When their year lease is up can he refuse to renew it?

Jenison, MI |

The tenants boyfriend urinated on another tenants car. The tenant speaks loud about other tenant even at 3am.

I'm guessing you are the landlord. Right? There is no requirement to continue a lease agreement or renew it, past the expiration date. As long as there is no violation of other established laws (such as race, gender, age, etc.) you may elect not to renew the lease with proper notice. If the particular tenant (or their guests) are creating problems that may cost you more in the long run, it may be a good time to non-renew. I have attached a link to a Landlord/Tenant Guide provided by the State of MIchigan (you may already have one) that I think all Michigan landlords and tenants should have. It's also good to belong to a Rental Property Owner's Association. Good Luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant