How much of a reason does a landlord need to evict a tenant. When their year lease is up can he refuse to renew it?

Asked over 2 years ago - Jenison, MI

The tenants boyfriend urinated on another tenants car. The tenant speaks loud about other tenant even at 3am.

1. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

1

Answered . I'm guessing you are the landlord. Right? There is no requirement to continue a lease agreement or renew it, past the expiration date. As long as there is no violation of other established laws (such as race, gender, age, etc.) you may elect not to renew the lease with proper notice. If the particular tenant (or their guests) are creating problems that may cost you more in the long run, it may be a good time to non-renew. I have attached a link to a Landlord/Tenant Guide provided by the State of MIchigan (you may already have one) that I think all Michigan landlords and tenants should have. It's also good to belong to a Rental Property Owner's Association. Good Luck!

Guide: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publica...