How much money is a reasonable settlement for my portion (1/3)of a pain and suffering case excluding my lawyers fees and medical

Asked over 4 years ago - Houston, TX

I was in a car accident, at a red light . the suv in back of me hit me at 40mph and pushed me into another car. The seats broke, i sustian back,neck, shoulder, and head injuries,and was not able to receive much medical help, do to my pregnacy. Was not able to take pain medication.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Parker Price Polan

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . As these lawyers have stated, nobody can tell you how much a reasonable settlement would be until they have a firm grasp of the facts of your case. That includes reviewing the accident report, medical bills, and speaking with you about the injuries you sustained. You may also have a products liability claim agains the manufacturer of your vehicle because your seats broke. I would be happy to discuss this with you if you do not have an attorney. My number is 512-472-8318.

  2. Donald Curtis Kudler

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I am licensed in Nevada, but this answer should apply in Texas as well.

    No one can tell you the value of your case with the information you have provided. You can go to our website at for information on how your case will be evaluated by the other driver's insurance company.

    Unfortunately, there are many cases where, due to the limitations on insurance, the amount a victim of a personal injury accident recovers is less than the amount of damages he/she incurred. At times, the available insurance does not even cover the medical bills let alone the pain and suffering damages that may never fully resolve. In your case, you should find out what coverage is available. The types of coverage will include medical payments and/or PIP coverage, liability coverage from the other driver and uninsured/underinsured coverage from your policy and/or the driver of the car you were in. Go to our website at for a discussion of the types of coverage available in auto policies.

    I strongly recommend seeking the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney in this case. As you can see from the website, the insurance company will downplay your damages due to the lack of treatment despite the fact that your pregnancy is a valid reason for not getting continual treatment.

    Hope this helps.

    /s Donald Kudler

  3. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Unfortunately, no one here on can even begin to guess at the value of your claim without thoroughly reviewing all of your medical records, including pre-existing medical records, and your past earnings records, tax filings etc. and knowing the exact circumstances under which the accident took place.

    You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow your doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to your medical records. Photograph your injuries and the damage done to any vehicle or other property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,593 answers this week

3,334 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,593 answers this week

3,334 attorneys answering