How much money do I need to set up an irrevocable funeral trust ?

Townville, PA |
Filed under: Irrevocable trust

I live in Pennsylvania

I assume that you are asking how much money you need to set up such a trust so that the amount is within the guidelines issued by Medicaid for nursing home purposes.

The general rule is that the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare will allow for the "reasonable cost" of a funeral plus 25 percent. Because Pennsylvania is a large state with rural, suburban and urban areas, the question of what is "reasonable" depends on the county you're in.

Fortunately, the Department of Public Welfare has issued guidelines which it has have received from the Pennsylvania Funeral Directors' Association regarding the cost of a reasonable funeral plus 25% in each county in the Commonwealth. I've looked at those guidelines for you. Assuming that you live in Townville, which is where your question has come from, the reasonable cost plus 25% for a funeral in Crawford County is $10,689.00.

Before you commit your funds to a funeral trust, I would highly recommend that you consult with a Medicaid lawyer to confirm my information and to be absolutely sure that the trust itself meets the Pennsylvania Medicaid standards.

Thanks for your question.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Flood and Masiuk, LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates