How much money do I need for my assets for my I-864 form?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicopee, MA

My latest income tax does not exceed the Poverty Guideline. My latest income tax was $23,200. The poverty guideline for my household (a household of three) is $24,412. I was told that I need three times the difference of the Poverty guideline and my latest income tax in a bank account. How much would I need?

1. Jennifer Wang

Pro

6

Answered . I advise that you try to obtain a joint sponsor, who does not have to be a family member or relative. He/she shall be a U.S. citizen or with permanent residency status.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

7

Answered . What you really need is to secure a co-sponsor to file another Affidavit of Support supplementing yours .

3. Jorge Ivan Pardo

5

Answered . You need the difference times 5 in cash or equity. To be safe, get a co sponsor.

4. Olesia Gorinshteyn

5

Answered . If you need to include your assets, the net value has to be 3 times (if you sponsoring a spouse or a minor child) or 5 times (if sponsoring other relative) the difference between your household income and poverty guidelines.

5. Christine Swenson

4

Answered . The combination of your income and assets need to meet 125% of the poverty guidelines. Any assets you use in completing your I-864 will be less any money owed on those assets.

6. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.