How much money do I have to inherit before I have to pay inheritance tax?

Lafayette, TN |

My grandmother died and Im an inheriting some money from her estate and I need to know the answer to this question.

Usually, the inheritance tax is paid by the estate and the beneficiaries receive a net amount.
Inheritances are not subject to income taxes. You should discuss this matter with an estates attorney in TN to confirm these general comments.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Usually you receive an after-tax amount as an inheritance where the estate has already paid the inheritance taxes, at least at the federal level. Once you receive the money (in most cases, except in the case of an inherited IRA), you do not owe tax on the amount you receive. This is tax free for you for income tax purposes.

Hope this helps. If you found this useful, please note so by clicking the thumbs up button.

Legal disclaimer: This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and is provided for general informational purposes only pursuant to the community guidelines.

Generally, the inheritance tax (if any) is paid by the estate and not the beneficiary. Check with the executor of the estate to make sure the taxes are paid.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business