How much money can an employer potentially waste fighting a discrimination and retaliation case before the trial begins?

Grapevine, TX |

I'm going to do this pro se and I'm not obtaining counsel for any reason. My employer wants to settle, so I'm not going to retain an attorney period. No exceptions. I don't need exact figures just potential ranges of numbers. What's on the original petition is retaliation, sex AND race discrimination, wrongful termination, penalizing an employee for compliance with a subpoena, hostile work environment, and defamation. Please just give me an idea of a range that they will potentially spend before trial before after the discovery process.

1. As much as they are willing and able to spend. There's no real range that can be offered. If the employer hired a large firm to represent them then they may be spending $20,000 per month in legal fees. If the employer hired a small employer-side firm then probably a lot less.

I would be cautious about believing your employer's desire to settle, or at least to settle for fair value on your claims.

2. The employer can spend as much as it wants which means unlimited amount.

FYI: You seem very sure of yourself but even so you need someone to tell you, so it might as well be me: you have raised too many grounds of discrimination here. When lightning struck in the same place that many ways, it is simply not credible. This is just one of many ways in which pro pers with a copy of the rule book still manage to shoot themselves through the heart.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

3. As much as they can afford. Keep in mind, you are not going to know a lot of the trap doors involved in these types of cases. If they retain a knowledgeable attorney, they may only have to spend a few thousand to procedural end your case and any chance of recovery. Good luck to you.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.

4. A major factor in determining such a range is the amount of discovery that is likely to take place, especially when there is a lot of electronic discovery. It is not unusual for tens of thousands of emails to be produced by an employer, which have to be reviewed before production. There could be many discovery issues that would need briefing. So, the short answer is that it is extremely difficult to determine what the employer may spend in defending your suit. I will say one thing, you are making a huge mistake suing the employer pro se when you could easily obtain an ecperienced employment attorney on a contingent fee basis - if you ave a decent case, of course.