How much money can an employer potentially waste fighting a discrimination and retaliation case before the trial begins?

I'm going to do this pro se and I'm not obtaining counsel for any reason. My employer wants to settle, so I'm not going to retain an attorney period. No exceptions. I don't need exact figures just potential ranges of numbers. What's on the original petition is retaliation, sex AND race discrimination, wrongful termination, penalizing an employee for compliance with a subpoena, hostile work environment, and defamation. Please just give me an idea of a range that they will potentially spend before trial before after the discovery process.

Grapevine, TX -

Adam Kielich

Adam Kielich

Employment / Labor Attorney - Bedford, TX

As much as they are willing and able to spend. There's no real range that can be offered. If the employer hired a large firm to represent them then they may be spending $20,000 per month in legal fees. If the employer hired a small employer-side firm then probably a lot less.

I would be cautious about believing your employer's desire to settle, or at least to settle for fair value on your claims.

Brian Heath Crockett

Brian Heath Crockett

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Houston, TX

As much as they can afford. Keep in mind, you are not going to know a lot of the trap doors involved in these types of cases. If they retain a knowledgeable attorney, they may only have to spend a few thousand to procedural end your case and any chance of recovery. Good luck to you.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

The employer can spend as much as it wants which means unlimited amount.

FYI: You seem very sure of yourself but even so you need someone to tell you, so it might as well be me: you have raised too many grounds of discrimination here. When lightning struck in the same place that many ways, it is simply not credible. This is just one of many ways in which pro pers with a copy of the rule book still manage to shoot themselves through the heart.

Patrick Leo Mcguigan

Patrick Leo Mcguigan

Employment / Labor Attorney - Seattle, WA

A major factor in determining such a range is the amount of discovery that is likely to take place, especially when there is a lot of electronic discovery. It is not unusual for tens of thousands of emails to be produced by an employer, which have to be reviewed before production. There could be many discovery issues that would need briefing. So, the short answer is that it is extremely difficult to determine what the employer may spend in defending your suit. I will say one thing, you are making a huge mistake suing the employer pro se when you could easily obtain an ecperienced employment attorney on a contingent fee basis - if you ave a decent case, of course.