How much landlord can increase my rent in West Hollywood CA if my wife moves in to my apartment? It is rent control apartment.

Asked almost 2 years ago - West Hollywood, CA

I have been in the building for about six years. I just got married and my wife is moving with me. The building is under West Hollywood rent control. I went through the ordinance but I cannot find an answer.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brad S Kane


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . According to the City of West Hollywood,

    Occupants Allowed in Addition to the Lease/Rental Agreement

    Tenants may be vulnerable to eviction if they have more people living with them than their lease specifies. However, the Ordinance provides that one person in addition to those permitted in the lease may live with a tenant if it is their spouse, domestic partner, child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother or sister. The tenant must notify the landlord in writing about the additional person and state the nature of the relationship.

    These relatives do not have a claim to continue as tenants when the last tenant on the original lease moves out unless the relative has lived with the tenant for more than a year and the tenant has died or become incapacitated. Otherwise, the relatives need to move-out at the time the tenant vacates or the landlord may treat the unit as vacant and demand a credit check, new lease, increased rent and new security deposit from the relatives.

    This language strongly implies that regardless of what the lease says, you are entitled to have your wife move in without penalty or additional rent

    However, to protect yourself, you should contact West Hollywood Rent Stabilization at (323) 848-6450.

  2. George Costas Andriotis

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Because she is your spouse it should be without penalty.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Edwin Arnold Anderson

Can I Break My Lease Early?

This question comes up on Avvo a lot. I'm writing this guide for reference so that you might be able to find it. Remember, every situation is different. Don't merely rely on this guide--... more

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,044 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,044 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering