How much jail time would a 20 year old man have to endure if he had sex with a 16 year old?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rensselaer, NY

In the state of New York

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

4

Answered . It depends on a lot of factors, including if they are a full 4 years apart. For example if the 20 year old was 20 years and 1 month, and the 16 year old was 16 years 10 months, there would defense to the rape charge, and most likely a less crime would be charged involving less jail time. I know of cases where individuals charged with statutory rape did no time, and others where significant jail time was involved. If you are 20 year old, seek legal counsel.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Every case is different.

3. Richard C. Southard

Pro

4

Answered . There is no way to accurately predict how much time your case would get as it depends on many factors including the skill and experience of your lawyer, the county prosecuting, the involvement of the 16 year old and her family etc.

4. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

4

Answered . Assuming it was consensual, I would agree with Attorney Gold's analysis.