How much jail time is there for 1st time offense of burglary (3rd degree), theft of services (3rd degree), and theft (dp).

New Jersey |

I broke into a hotel and used the pool and gym facilities. I stole a key card in order to gain entrance to these facilities, i just turned 21 and i want to know realistically what are my chances of not seeing jail times

1. I see many questions on avvo in which people want to do what is going to happen to them because of such and such an offense or parole violation. In truth no one except your lawyer can even give you an approximate answer to that question because it depends on so many variables: your state’s laws and procedures, your criminal history if any, whether there are any sentencing enhancements, whether your state has diversion programs for your offense. These kinds of questions really require that you contact a local lawyer and even then they can only give you a range.

2. Far too many sentencing variables exist. Prior record. Aggravating factors. Age. Prosecutor discretion.

Check with your lawyer and then even he or she can only suggest to you possible ranges of sentences. I agree with the observations of Mr. Kaman. If you do not have a lawyer and cannot afford one a lawyer will be appointed to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

3. Respectfully, I disagree with my collegues. In answer to your questions. As a first-time offender you are facing a State Prison sentence (not County Jail) of between 3-5 years. Realistically, depending on the County Prosecutor who handles this, you can potentially walk-away from this with a disposition of no incarceration and just as importantly, the ability to get this off your record six months after you complete the sentence.

Discuss this with an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in NJ as soon as possible, as several steps can be taken before you appear in Court that can affect the outcomes I referenced above. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER
    This answer is not intended to, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It is not intended to constitute either legal advice or attorney advertising. Rather, given the nature of this website, it is offered solely for information purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking with a lawyer licensed to practice law in N.J. It is critical for you to consult with a qualified counsel who is admitted to practice law in NJ with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege before making any decisions about your case.