How much jail or prison time is possible?

Virginia Beach, VA |

The suspended jail time on misdemeanor charges is as follows; 365 days, 365 days, 365 days and 90 days...these are 4 separate charges which I was convicted of on 4 separate dates. I have misdemeanor probation time that is as follows: 1 year, 3 years, 4 years and 1 year. I have court this week for another misdemeanor and was wondering if I could get 3 years and 90 days in prison, 4 years since that is the largest amount of probation time or if there is a possibility of getting 12 years since that is all of my time added up. I know I could get as little as no time but frankly id like to be prepared for a worst case scenario. Since they are all misdemeanors is just a year the max I could receive? I am so confused and can not afford to ask my lawyer.

Get a lawyer you are comfortable with and start preparing your defenses.

The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

If you cannot afford to ask your attorney, maybe you should be looking for a new attorney because you need to be talking about all of you cases with him/her. If you are convicted of a new class 1 misdemeanor you are looking at up to 12 months in jail. You also face a potential revocation of all the suspended jail time. Grand total at risk .. 4 years and 90 days.

The maximum punishment for any misdemeanor in Virginia is 12 months in jail. If you are found to be in violation of the terms of a suspended sentence, you risk having that sentence imposed, but the judge is limited to that sentence only and no more.

Also, for most misdemeanor charges, you only have to serve half of any imposed time. For example if you are sentenced to a 60-day jail sentence, you will be required to serve only 30. The balance is credited for good behavior.

By responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.