How much is my personal injury claim worth? Reading Avvo I hear it's hard to calculate. Thks 4 ur professional estimation

Asked almost 4 years ago - Sammamish, WA

A lawyer approached us projecting a number. How can I check his/her estimation? Can you help with the following parameters to estimate my case?

- Pulled on a tube injured was ejected in a sharp turn an hit a dock
- The driver owns the boat, the tube, the rope, no flagger, 80% liable estimate
- The injured, right handed, spent 5 weeks in Hosp, 4 weeks nursing home, 3 major surgeries (20h total) to repair 14 broken bones in foot, right wrist, elbow, shoulder. 2 plates, 8 screws, 2 prosthesis.
- Should recover 90% of range of motion though 30" of scars and prognostic is no more golf (injured HCP 6), tennis, etc.
- Med expenses $237K
- Out of work for a year, $150K 49 years old

In one of the responses on Avvo it talked of a multiplier of med expenses. Is it 3X, 5X, 10X?

1. Richard S. Lowell

Best Answer

Answered . I agree that the days of 3x medical expenses are no longer valid. And any attorney who can provide you with a claim estimate based on just the information you have provided is not being wholly candid. Each case must be evaluated on its own merits; and there are tons of variables. It is obvious that you were seriously injured; and have incurred significant medical expenses and wage loss. It appears that the more difficult part of your case is going to be the issue of liability. An insurance company is going to argue that you are mostly at fault - or that you assumed the risk of injury. A qualified personal injury attorney is going to be spending a great deal of time dealing with those issues; to make sure you recover as much as the claim circumstances will allow. I agree with the above attorneys that you need to meet with a local personal injury attorney to discuss your claim in detail. Most personal injury attorneys (such as me) will meet with you free of charge to discuss your claim. And in the event you retain a personal injury attorney, most will represent you on a contingency basis - so that your attorney fee is paid only out of any recovery made on your behalf. Check out our website for more details; and feel free to call if you would like to discuss further.

2. Arthur D Leritz

Pro

Answered . You need to consult with an attorney locally who can discuss the specifics about your case and advise you based on the facts. As a reminder, you have three years from the date of your accident in Washington to file a lawsuit against the wrongdoer or your claim is lost. Best of luck.

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

1

Answered . No, there is no "multiplier" of 3X/5X or 10X. In the old fasioned days when I was first learning about injury cases back then they would generally end up settling average car accident cases for three times the special damages. However, this was many years ago, and this approach has been resoundingly rejected everywhere. If you ask a claims adjuster for X times the medical bills you will show that you are not serious about your claim.

Without any delay you should retain a personal injury attorney. The reason is that personal injury attorneys almost always give a free consultation. The insurance industry’s own statistics indicate that the value of a claim as much as doubles after an attorney becomes involved. So, the attorney will earn his or her fee. You also want someone who has handled cases like yours before so that you do not miss anything important in putting the case forward.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.