Skip to main content

How much is my failure to yield to right-of-way traffic ticket that ended in an accident?

Auburn, WA |

I was turning left onto a 50 mph road and hit the car that was already on the road in my lane. the police were called, the accident was reported and everyone was fine and everyone had insurance and registration for their vehicles. The officer said he cited me for failure to yield. I am a 16-year old and have only had my license for a month and a half. He said that my ticket would be about $170 and that i could get my license suspended until i am 18. i have no previous offenses and i was very surprised at this. any information about the price of my ticket and the possibility of my license being suspended or any other restrictions that could result from this accident would be so helpful! thank you!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to fight this. Any competent defense attorney in your area that does traffic defense should be able to get this dropped. Was the Officer present and see the accident happen? If no, what he/she has to say was probably told to him/her by an onlooker. Hence, it is hearsay and inadmissible. Second, there is a Washington Statute that directs that "collision reports" are inadmissible in civil or criminal trials which means that the Officer's reconstruction of the accident is also inadmissible. My opinion is that a local attorney should be able to defeat this ticket. Best of luck.

  2. While it may be possible for a lawyer to win this case for you, it is not a foregone conclusion. The fact that you were turning left at the time of the collision could make this a more challenging case.

    I certainly agree that you should hire an attorney to help you fight this, as having a suspended license until age 18 is a steep price to pay for a motor vehicle accident.

  3. Never miss an opportunity to fight a ticket! Shop around. Most traffic lawyers have very reasonable rates. You may even be able to get a lawyer for the face amount of the ticket.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics