Skip to main content

How much is a substantial investment

Davenport, FL |

I am thinking of applying for an E2 visa, would $60,000 be substantial enough?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It depends on the type of business. There is no set amount. The more you invest the greater the chance of success. We generally advise of $100k or close thereto

  2. It may be sufficient depending on the investment situation. Generally the more substantial the investment the better.

  3. It may be depending on the type of business. However, we are generally conservative on this issue, and recommend an investment of $100,000.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. I used to recommend $100,000 ... I now recommend $125,000 to $150,000 ..... depending on the business and keeping in mind that you need to own at-least 51%.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  5. That can be a sufficient investment, however there are other factors and criteria that you must be able to meet in order to get an E-2 visa. E-2 visas are highly complex and I would urge you to consult with, and hire, an immigration attorney. E visas have been increasingly more difficult to obtain due to more restrictive opinions/decisions of the AAO in recent years, so it is best to get a good lawyer on your side before proceeding.

    Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.